Friday, July 24, 2009

The Seven Deadly Sins

I can't get with the crazy religious thing, even a little bit. My sister told me yesterday that she has personally been attacked by demons, and that she believes that homosexuality is caused by an evil spirit that's attacking the world. Presumably the individuals, both human and animal, who manifest symptoms of this affliction (i.e. gays) are those who weren't able to resist the influence of the evil spirit. Where exactly do you go in a conversation like that? I just can't follow her in to this fundamentalist zealotry and live in the spiritually perilous world she lives in. I also don't want to be a Christian rapper.

I firmly believe that when I get to Heaven, there will be a little coffee house with amazing mochas (full fat, and whipped cream, please, this IS heaven), and St. Peter will be referring to a gorgeously eclectic scrapbooky thing with all kind of my life's memorabilia pasted in it (my baby pictures, movie tickets, mother's day cards from the kids, the notes I passed in 9th grade French class, and dozens of things that I've forgotten about), and every once in a while he’ll get to some dumb thing I did, show it to me and say “what was THAT about?” And then we’ll both shake our heads and laugh, then take a sip of coffee, and keep going. And when we reach the end of the story, I get to decide whether to retire to my personal version of heaven, or try another round on earth in hopes of doing it better next time. (Of course I’ve taken Bodhisattva vows so I’ll be saying, “send me back, there’s always more to do!”) In any case, I don’t believe in hell, it’s like saying ‘she’s the perfect mother…well, except for all that child abuse.’ Hey since this IS a list blog, we need a list. How about this?

The Seven Deadly Sins and Their Demons:

Pride - Lucifer
Avarice/Greed - Mammon
Lechery/Lust - Asmodeus
Anger/Wrath - Satan
Gluttony - Beelzebub
Envy - Leviathan
Sloth - Belphegor

No comments: